On Christmas Eve- I arrived at her door with the wrapped picture ready to drop it and run- but felt an urge to stay. When she opened the door and saw me standing there her face lit up! She invited me into her little old lady living room to an astonishing sight. She placed the gift under her tree and sat on her couch while I took in the room.
On her mantel she had every apple lined up, with each "Secret Friend" note and a ti
me of delivery. She had the ward list on her end table with lines through many many names as she was trying to decipher who was her secret friend was. She smiled and told me that she had prayed all morning that whomever was leaving her gifts would not doorbell ditch this day and stay to help her decorate the tree with those apples. She beamed as she chattered and I decorated the tree- then we sat to cookies she had made just for me! As I bid her farewell I promised that I would be her UNsecret friend and visit once a week. (Which I did until my family moved to Logan the next year.)
I brought this up to mention two very important points. First- this is the first time in my recollection that I was able to recognize the promptings of the Spirit directing me. This sweet woman would have been so disappointed if I was to honor the agreement I had made to be SECRET with the other Merrie Miss girls in my class. This woman needed me, needed to know me, needed the friend. I am so grateful for His hand in my life- and will never forget that first lesson of His direction.
Second- We have our very own secret Dear Friend this year. We are being left sweet little trinkets each night. I am not praying to meet this person or anthing like that- but the feeling of love and friendship is touching my heart, and stirring excitement each day as we anticipate the doorbell ditch. Thank you Dear Friend.
6 comments:
I loved the story! You can feel the spirit as you read it! We all need that "little old lady" to visit!
oh my eyes are all watery, What a sweet memory to share, Thank you, Kind of needed it.
All this time and I'd never heard that story. How sweet!
Sweet story. It really is the little things we can do for others that mean the most.
What a sweet story. I loved it. That could go to the ensign or something (following in your mother-in-laws footsteps, make her proud). Very good story though. I think I'll use it for our family christmas devotional tonight. Thanks!
I love the picture. Nicole looks cold, but cute nonetheless!
What a wonderful story! How awesome that you remember feeling the Spirit guide you at such a young age. And how fun to have your own secret friend now! Don't you love the holidays?!
Post a Comment