I know that party- I live that party- every year!
I try to enjoy myself. I try to convince myself that I want to be there and its NOT THAT BAD- but no. I am wrong. I am kidding myself. I realize I am a bitter old miser- and should avoid the affair next year. This is the year I will remember that! I swear!
My Grandma's (Esther) Christmas party is always the hardest event we attend all year! My Grandma had 5 children with my Mom as the second child. I am her oldest grandchild. My earliest recollections- my grandma would spoil the life out of my cousins, and my sisters and I would get a card with a dollar. On my sister's first birthday my grandma brought a pound of frozen hamburger as a gift. Told us she did not have time to shop. (Why bring anything!!!) Christmas parties all our cousins got clothes and dolls while we held our dollar bills. Aunts handing the other cousins more dolls and we overlooked all together. Our dear Mother telling us to be gracious and happy and thank everyone with a hug and a kiss. We dutifully did so! Every one chatted with us, and patiently listened to us tell them stories of of lives. They loved us, right? I try to enjoy myself. I try to convince myself that I want to be there and its NOT THAT BAD- but no. I am wrong. I am kidding myself. I realize I am a bitter old miser- and should avoid the affair next year. This is the year I will remember that! I swear!
Then we would move to the program portion of the party, where my mom dressed us in the most beautiful clothes we owned and we sang our hearts out. I think she wanted their approval too. Our Aunt who would always be embarrassing would get polite applause too. We being the loudest because we were taught to respect our elders.
I may sound like a ungrateful grinchy girl- but I just can't do that anymore! When we get ready to go my kids are groaning. Begging to stay home. I tell them they are family and we will give Grandma our yearly picture. "Don't worry- Nanny is coming and will bring you something to open!" I know we only take family memories with us to the next life and I too will dutifully teach my children to be gracious.
Last night I broke. Yep. My will to attend this party has left forever. Was the party different? Nope. We ate, people were nice, the gifts passed around us, the program ensued. Like always. But THIS year as I watch my 55 year old Aunt in her tighter than life clothes, dance around the room doing a dance meant for gentlemen callers while others cheered- I realized that was the LAST place on the planet I ever wanted my children. They D
ID NOT have to feel like we are only invited because of blood. They DID NOT have to clap for the Aunts who didn't know thier names anyway. They DID NOT have to hold thier gift brought by thier Nanny/(Aunt who was instructed by the Nanny who got snowed in in Logan.) who knew that no one else would remember them that night. There is love for them everywhere! Everywhere their are beautiful things for them to take in and THAT is where we will be next year on the night of the Waters/Robison party.I know there are genuine people on that side of my family that I love and who love us. They do know who they are.
Sorry for the depressing post- but it was a revalation and a huge moment for me!
THANK Goodness for my Wood family! As I have said before- We LOVED our parties with them!
7 comments:
All I can think about is tiger print carpet! I am so sorry this party is rotten, but it is good to start a new tradition! That is what the talk was about today!!
Oh that breaks my heart for you and your immediate family! I agree with Lori, start your own traditions; they're the best!
Count your many Blessings, Name them one by one!...... this is worth about 50!
I have a very familar story. We went ALL the way to Logan last night for a Party. Half of my cousins didnt even say "hi" to me! I tried to talk to them, but that never works. And to think we are all adults now!
I'm so glad other people have dysfunctional families too!! Gabrielle, after this post, we just might be soul mates! lol!
I am sorry to hear that you had to endure so many such parties. I too have loved Wood parties and miss them.
Woman I swear that sometimes you can read my mind. I love reading your blog. I love that you post your true feelings. I have been to this party...not at your family, but at mine. As we left this party this year I turned to my cute husband and said. I don't need to go back next year. I won't. I don't need it and my kids don't either.
Post a Comment