31 December, 2008

The Good The Bad- no I am not ugly!

Oh how I love New Years. Each year we get to evaluate the current state of our lives and resolve to be smarter, better, thinner. It often borders depressing thinking of all the ways you have failed personally, spiritually, physically. It seems so wrong! Ok- ok- maybe I am the only pathological one who beats herself down- trying to think of ways of betterment. Its not like that is the intention! No! Its just the neurotic mind ramblings of a thirty something wife, mother, daughter, and friend. You start with: This Next year I really want to simplify this- or beef up that- then all the reasons WHY I need to do those things, mingled with as much self doubt I can muster sneak in polluting and tainting the good intentions I had with the initial reasons for wanting new resolve.

Not doing that this year! Nope! I have reflected and came to the realization that last year I did accomplish 2 of my resolutions last year. To be clear- they were my very hardest two!!! So Hah narcissistic me! HAH! The ultimate and utter demise of GeXie. (Goal #4) I half heartedly had her on the list because I knew it was time to give up the Warcrack, but SO did not want to. Smartest thing I did all year- albeit the hardest. Also to find time to spend better time with my family. (Goal #2) That was harder than I thought it would be too! The more I worked, the more tired I was. The more I wanted to hide in a corner to calm down, the less time I spent being happy and with my family. Sheesh Idiot! Quit your job! - yah, I and so hard headed it ridiculous!

SEE! I did accomplish something! That already sets this years resolve setting time in a lighter more positive mood! No inane rambling: set goals that are attainable yet not unreasonable. Sure. I should ALWAYS do that, but here! Again- I say HAH! My second plan of assault on the goal setting-self kicking party is tooI am not the sharpest tool in the shed and I enjoy inflicting pain on myself. Er.. well, not really, but it appears that way. This way I can REALLY keep positive, and avoid the yearly beat up session. Wooo Hooo! Learning! Its Marvelous! I should learn lessons more often! So are you ready- for the LIST. The List that will actually happen, the list that I did not burden my heart over? Oh how I can't wait to write them down and make it official! Ready??!!!

  • Continuing my quest to make our home happier. One little step at a time. This goal includes a bit more prayer, song, and paint. (I still have SO many Brown ceilings.)
  • Exercise nearly everyday. No not to lose X amount of pounds. I am not doing that. I will just focus on being strong and healthy each day. I have worked out how to do water aerobics quite frequently this year. The X amount of pounds will just have to take care of itself.
  • Drink much more water. I Love water- and I gave up the soda. This should not be too hard!
  • Improve our family, growing together. Lots of ways to do this. We have been doing great, and everyone is on board for the plans David and I have made.
  • Finally. Recognize and improve my talents. I often wonder if I have talents. I do not play an instrument, draw, write, whatever. Now- I know my gift. It has been pointed out to my when I was 17, but I did not see it. In prayer I have asked to know what my gift on this Earth is, and all this time it has been right in front of me- in my blessing. I have the talent to love. LOVE! Yay me! I am good at that! I love harder than anyone I know, and sometimes wonder why things that seem so important to me- are not important to others. Its because my gift is to love! I want to improve that and share more, give more, LOVE more.
I can do this. I feel happy and optimistic about the New Year. Its wonderful to have avoided the boxing ring this year. Usually The Older me comes out with a black eye, a bloody lip, and the title handed to younger me. Again HAH! I win This time!

8 comments:

~Jordyn said...

Resolutions seriously?

As if the two of us would ever need to better ourselves. please! :)

Missy said...

I hear ya on that...I hardly ever make resolutions cuz I know I couldn't keep them and I can't stand that!
Great, attainable goals! And great picture!

Mary Ann said...

I can't tell you how much I love you. You are such a great example to me. So fun and so nice. You are sooo talented.
Congrats on acheiving your goals and I really like what you have laid out for the new year, but you forgot :Teach Mary Ann to make bread!
p.s. I want details on how those sun-dried tomato wonton cups turn out!

Mary Ann said...

Oh, and I love your beautiful, smiling face! You are gorgeous, inside and out!

Just Us said...

I love this post. This is what I needed to hear too, because I tend to just ignore New Years, but then I make goals anyway. So yay for putting it into an attainable light. You are awesome!!

Steph said...

I love your resolutions! But I must admit when you said that sometimes you wonder if you have any talents I actually said out loud "Oh you have got to be kidding me!" You are SO talented in SO many areas! Come over for lunch someday and we can discuss the many ways :) Happy New Year!

Timm said...

you are clearly in need of a talk regarding what the new year is supposed to do for us. it grants us super human strength to resolve to do that which we failed at for 30+ years. and if you never make resolutions, you will never see what a failure you have become over the last 12 months. Wait....maybe you're onto something.

I had three things i wanted to accomplish this year. 1)start a business. 2)grow said business so that i could get a part-time night job and still break even. 3)Live to see 2009.

Well, 1 for 3 isn't bad, right? This year's List Of Things To Do: (due to recent successes, i believe it may be attainable) LIVE TO SEE 2010.

I will keep you posted on my progress as infrequently as possible as to not jinx any progress being made.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Really cute picture. I haven't made my new years goals yet. I think my goals are made just one day at a time. I can't think much further ahead than that.