09 December, 2008

The 9th day of Christmas

Numbah 9 Day of Christmas
My tutu give to me

Nine Pounds of Poi
Eight Ukulele
Seven Shrimp a Swimming
Seeex Hula Lesson
FIVE BIG FAT PIG!
Four Flower Lei
Tree Dried Squid
Two Coconut
and One Mynah Bird in One Papaya Tree.



When my Uncle Steve and Aunt Karen lived in Santaquin we all went there for I THINK Easter. I think Uncle Kimo, Uncle Lindsey, and my Grandparents went too. They had the coolest yard ever! We played hide and seek forever! There was a really great place in a horse stall to hide. John (my cousin my age) even took me down the irragation ditch with was filled with beautiful lush green plants and was totally over grown above with trees. He said it was where fairies live.

All of us kids played and played for hours. At one point I had to go inside for the bathroom- and what do I walk into??? ALL the grownups in the living room eating big bowls of chocolate pudding! They knew we were all out- so they bring out the goods while the kids are gone?! Rude! So I told me dad I wanted pudding! He laughed and pulled that grown up thing- "You won't like it..." Oh yes I would!!!! With a bit more coaxing he told me to go get a spoon. I proceeded to take a heaping spoonful and when my tastebuds kicked in I realized all the grownups were eating bowls full of mud! It was so terrible!!! Ew! I told my Dad they were insane! He laughed telling me that it was Poi and absolutely wonderful!
(Yah! No it is NOT!)
Nature's candy.
The world's only perfect food. (Yep- that tastes exactly like mud!)
Never again have I have the pleasure of eating poi. Last year I tracked down a Hawaiian store to get my Dad some poi for Christmas- but the price was SO high I opted not to. Maybe for his birthday.
Who would want nine pounds of poi??? Not me!

8 comments:

sharpest family said...

It's even worse than mud. I think it tastes like rotten mud! Blah!! Definitely an acquired taste.

Tooele Brezoff said...

forget the poi, I will take the hottie eye candy holding the bowl!! hehe oh wait I am married never mind.

Missy said...

Poi? Never heard of the stuff! But I'll take the hottie!
Can't wait to see you on Thursday!

Unknown said...

You guys are funny- that guy being hot never even dawned on me. He was the first picture of someone eating poi properly. lol He does have a super nice smile now that you mention it tho!

Mary Ann said...

I have actually wanted to try it and remember seeing a recipe somewhere. Hmm... now you have me wondering if I would like it or not!

Holmes said...

I was going to say the same thing about you finding a picture eating poi properly. I am impressed. They really do eat it like pudding huh. Funny that taro (what poi comes from) has become one of my favorite veggies here to put in soups. The ones here though are white inside not purplish.

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

ha ha. Grown ups are so rude. Personally, I wait until the kids are in bed and eat pudding. (the cooked vanilla kind is the best)

Lorelei said...

That's funny, it sure is ugly stuff. Did we ever have family pictures in their back yard? I remember one of their houses where we had family pics and when Aaron smiled his gum fell out of his mouth into my hair! Jerk! Then Aunt Karen and Aunt Kathy stuck peanut butter in my hair to get it out and Aaron was all like...haha! Jerk again!