20 May, 2009

My friend Mary Ann and some darn good Doughnuts!

I am trying VERY hard not to be sad. So hard. I am trying to keep my mind on other things and making the best out of a sad situation, but I keep getting sucked into how MUCH I am going to miss my friend Mary Ann. I am going to miss her like mad! She is such a fantastic person. So open and giving, and so stinkin' funny. When I was young, we moved. We moved all the stinkin' time! Then we would move again. My mom used to say things like- I just don't even want to find a friend, I know I will just move! And she did! Finally when Mom and Rex bought the trailer in Young Ward, my mom told me she was finally going to get a bestest friend, and keep her! Yep- then Debbi moved. Then Crystal moved. Then Colleen moved. She is probably just waiting for Renee to move.
Now its me. Olga moved. Michelle moved. Mary Ann is moving. I am so sad. I think of things like- who is going to KNOW I need Whopper cupcakes and bring me on my lowest day? Who is going to make me get off my duff and go for a walk? Who is going to call me teachuu teachuu? I get sad then have to shake it off. Don't get me wrong! I have other FANTASTIC friends here. (yes you know who you are!!!) I am so grateful for my friends, but it still does not make her moving away any less sad.
Mary Ann has just opened her heart up to my family. She has also welcomed me into her life. she shares her friends and family with me. I have loved it! She is so like me that way. I assume that if I like her, they everyone around me should too- and that's what she does! She is the best cook in the entire world. she is brave enough to try the things I do not dare to, and she has empathy for everyone. I will miss her terribly. The ONLY reason I am even ok with her leaving is because for many years her husband's hours made it impossible for them to be together as a family every night. But now, she will finally have that, and her having something so wonderful makes it all ok for me!
Last week, knowing her time was short, I called her up with a recipe I had found, that Brigham Young's wife used to make for him. I wanted to try it, so I told her we were making doughnuts! She is so awesome, rolls with me, and there it was- seriously less than an hour later we had the best homemade doughnuts ever! I will make them again and again! The recipe, and Mare's take on them can be found here. She took this and some other gorgeous pictures. Yes- that's the doughnut we made!What a fun time Mare! Thank you for making them with me, thank you for being my friend, and thank you for being a wonderful loving girl! I love love love you!

And I am very sad- I am sure I will be extra lonely next week.

4 comments:

Brandi said...

What a nice tribute to Mary Ann. She will be missed dearly by a lot of people.

Mary Ann said...

Wow! You are making me sad!
I am going to miss you tons too. It just kind of stinks. I am glad you have let me into your family and that you have made friends with my friends too. It is really fun to share!!
You said so many nice things about me. I feel the same way about you.
Now I am going to go and cry :(

but wait, the donuts were so good!
ok.. now I am sad again

stephschmidt said...

Yummmm, those look delicious! Now you can teach me how to make them :) I think we're all going to miss Mary Ann.... At least her family's here; that means visits, right? :)

sharpest family said...

How sad!!! I'm sorry for you, it's so hard to find great friends and then such a bummer to lose them. Maybe she'll move back someday.

p.s. I've got my appt. to be induced on tues. Yahoo!