(If you have already heard parts of this- I am sorry, but since this is my journal, I get to do what I want!)
Oh how I love my church calling. Really. I can't think of anything I would like to do more. (I would like to be with grown ups someday. Someday.) I love to sing, and I love the music from the Primary Songbook. Love it. I have told David that at my funeral- ALL the music has to come out of it. But that is neither here nor there. Each month I have the pleasure of teaching a new song to the kids. For me this is quite the feat! I do not read music- and have not a musical bone in my body. But the Lord helps me and inspires me to my own sense of style that I hope the children get and love. Sometimes I am sure I am doing things a way that someone thinks is silly or not the way they would do them, and I am ok with that. I try to go from my heart.

ANYWAY- getting WAY off topic.... This month the outline for the year said I get to pick the song we learn myself. It had to be about the Savior. That was the only criteria! Well
yes-sir-ree Bob! I can do that! I started with what was one of my favorite songs... He sent his Son. But every time I started to work on my lesson, I was just not feeling it! (I have even taught this song before!) A little voice in my head kept suggesting another... (and yes, again, I hear voices in my head! So?) So I finally came to the conclusion that we would be singing - "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam."
Yes, every child in our church learns this song by the time they are 3, and it seems like a little nursery song. I am thinking- WOO HOOO! Easy month for me! We can work on a Mother's Day song too- and it will be like breezing through nothing to learn! I also figure our Junior Primary (3-7 year olds) can really shine when we sing for our parents. They deserve that. So I started to formulate a lesson plan.
As easy and as simply as this song is, I was touched and moved by the beautiful words and meanings of this "Nursery song." When I tried to sing, my heart would become full of joy and tenderness. I wish I was poetic enough to describe the sweet voice of the Spirit as it wrapped my heart with Christ's love for the children I felt while working on this song. This song is about cheerfulness, commitment, example, happiness, kindness, and love. On the music, it references Matthew 5:16. " Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." I was so excited! It was perfect. I also learned that this song, which I had known since I can remember language, had a second verse! Did you know that? Its so sweet!
Did you know that a sunbeam is also called a crepuscular ray? A crepuscular ray are rays of sunlight that radiate from a single point in the sky. They stream through gaps like columns of sunlit air separated by darker regions when they contrast between light and dark they are the most obvious.
A pretty powerful definition to me. Struck my soul as to exactly WHY this song was written. Especially written for our children to learn so young. They are radiating the pure love of Christ. They show the rest of us, our often dark world, the light that some are in desperate need of finding. This simple message seared itself into my spirit, and taught me, that I am just a tool in my Father's hands. I thought I was choosing this song for one reason, while the Lord was actually teaching me a lesson. Teaching me that I am not too old to love this song, to learn from this song, and I am here to teach his little ones to shine from a single point. Their Savior, Jesus Christ.
yes-sir-ree Bob! I can do that! I started with what was one of my favorite songs... He sent his Son. But every time I started to work on my lesson, I was just not feeling it! (I have even taught this song before!) A little voice in my head kept suggesting another... (and yes, again, I hear voices in my head! So?) So I finally came to the conclusion that we would be singing - "Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam."
Yes, every child in our church learns this song by the time they are 3, and it seems like a little nursery song. I am thinking- WOO HOOO! Easy month for me! We can work on a Mother's Day song too- and it will be like breezing through nothing to learn! I also figure our Junior Primary (3-7 year olds) can really shine when we sing for our parents. They deserve that. So I started to formulate a lesson plan.As easy and as simply as this song is, I was touched and moved by the beautiful words and meanings of this "Nursery song." When I tried to sing, my heart would become full of joy and tenderness. I wish I was poetic enough to describe the sweet voice of the Spirit as it wrapped my heart with Christ's love for the children I felt while working on this song. This song is about cheerfulness, commitment, example, happiness, kindness, and love. On the music, it references Matthew 5:16. " Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven." I was so excited! It was perfect. I also learned that this song, which I had known since I can remember language, had a second verse! Did you know that? Its so sweet!
Jesus wants me for a sunbeam, to shine for him each day.
In every way try to please him, at home, at school, at play.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. I'll be a sunbeam for him.
Jesus wants me to be loving, and kind to all I see.
Showing how pleasant and happy, his little one can be.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. I'll be a sunbeam for him.
In every way try to please him, at home, at school, at play.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. I'll be a sunbeam for him.
Jesus wants me to be loving, and kind to all I see.
Showing how pleasant and happy, his little one can be.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.
A sunbeam, a sunbeam. I'll be a sunbeam for him.
Did you know that a sunbeam is also called a crepuscular ray? A crepuscular ray are rays of sunlight that radiate from a single point in the sky. They stream through gaps like columns of sunlit air separated by darker regions when they contrast between light and dark they are the most obvious.
A pretty powerful definition to me. Struck my soul as to exactly WHY this song was written. Especially written for our children to learn so young. They are radiating the pure love of Christ. They show the rest of us, our often dark world, the light that some are in desperate need of finding. This simple message seared itself into my spirit, and taught me, that I am just a tool in my Father's hands. I thought I was choosing this song for one reason, while the Lord was actually teaching me a lesson. Teaching me that I am not too old to love this song, to learn from this song, and I am here to teach his little ones to shine from a single point. Their Savior, Jesus Christ.
4 comments:
Funny how He works, isn't it?
The second verse has always been my favorite.
Beautiful post and I too like the definition. Thought you'd enjoy hearing that this song is a hymn in the Japanese hymnbook and we sing it in sacrament.
I love that Kate! I wish we sang it in our Sacrament meeting too!!!
See you soonish!
Gabrielle, I am bawling right now, what a beautiful post i really needed that! it reminds me of how special our little ones really are as well and to treasure my little one even when I want to pull out my hair, you do great every week, thanks for all of your hard work!!
Post a Comment