21 October, 2008

One of my favorites


I have to go downstairs and cook in 30 minutes. I usually cook while the kids are doing homework. Tonight I am making one of MY favorite things. This is my guess on how I make it. I never measure a thing. This dish makes me think of my dear teaching companion at Ogden Prep Natalie Fisher. We ate this together- ALOT!!

Black Beans and Rice
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 2 onions, finely chopped
  • 2 green bell peppers, chopped
  • 3 teaspoons minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 2 cups white rice
  • 4 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 2 cans diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 1/4 cup rice vinegar
  • salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Juice of one lime

Heat a large pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. Stir in the onions, peppers, garlic, and cumin. Stir and cook for 8 minutes.

Stir in the rice, black beans, tomatoes, water, vinegar and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for about 40 minutes or until the rice is tender. Serve hot.


Another thing I remember and love may surprise you a bit.

  • Large slice of homemade bread
  • peanut butter
  • light corn syrup

Toast bread, and cover with a nice thick layer of peanut butter. Turn PB side down, then douse with corn syrup.

Reminds me a thousand and one nights of laughs at 1 or 2 am with Bonnie Sharp. I sure love her. Maybe I need one of these for dessert. lol. The first time I saw this- her Dad was eating it- and the Long house this was the only sweet thing you could get. I thought it was sooooo weird. Then after trying it- it was the old standby for a rough night- or after a loser boy.
Since this is my blog - I can meander through out any topic I want. :D

3 comments:

~Jordyn said...

Oh my gosh that looks so good!

The reason I didn't say red is because I have tried red before. I'm lacking the picture at the moment,but I didn't like it on me. My natural color already had some red in it it was like a dark strawberry blond and that's about as far red as I want to go. :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

yummy. It sounds so good. The only problem...Desmond is TERRIBLE when I eat even one bite of black beans (or any beans). Too bad since I LOVE them. And the avocado on top just makes it all the better.

Unknown said...

it was yummy! so yummy I'm taking some to work... and I don't eat leftovers!

this is Dave BTW