29 October, 2008

Still Happy?


There is an adorable woman who helps all the children in Overlake cross the street to the school. Amazing she. She knows most of the children's names- literally 400 children cross everyday. She is so jovial, vibrant, and personable. Is her name Kim? Kathy? Drat. I can't remember.

I used to dive the kids to her everyday, drop them off, then go back to work. I waved every morning. When I started walking the kids to school after I was a free woman- she asked where I was working now. I shared my great news- and she asked if I was happy. Oh! SO HAPPY!

This morning I say her again- I have not seen her in a few weeks- and there she was with her beautiful smile- remembering our circumstance and asked - Still Happy?

And if you are wondering. Still Oh! SO HAPPY! I am terrified of not making it each month. The Lord continues to provide thankfully.

This woman I aspire to be like! So sincere and thoughtful enough to ask about me. My life does not touch hers- yet her concern is genuine. The way she loves all those kids walking to school. Saying hello to them- each by name. noticing the new hairdo's and shoes. I have family who go eons without a call- a "Still Happy?" She is a person to strive to be. I will try my best to be the crossing guard. To be the face people can turn for for a smile. A polite nod, a compliment, a thoughtful word, and a familiar stranger. The stranger you like to run into because they are always so pleasant.

3 comments:

Brandi said...

I always wanted to be a crossing guard. You will have fun. I loved the crossing guard lady that is there now. She truly cares for each child. You will do great.

Unknown said...

Did I make it sound like I was going to be the crossing guard? LOL no- I just think she is so AWESOME! Sorry.

stephschmidt said...

Ok, so I NEVER go back and post a comment on "old" posts :) But I just had to say, sorry to tell ya, but you already ARE that crosswalk lady! You always remember whats going on with people, and ask whats changed with that, and are always so considerate. For a long time now, YOU'RE the "crosswalk lady" I want to be like!