13 March, 2011

Driving is fun

Yesterday was supposed to be Juliet's first day trip. And it was... but what I should call it is Juliet's inception into life in our family! It was crazy, obnoxious, stressful, and just our luck to start our day trip the way we did. It was a special day for my nephew Braxton. He was having a big party at Fat Cat's in Ogden. But back up... it started Friday.

I needed a huge cake, for my huge family, my Dad's 60th birthday, and my baby sister's birthday. My girlfriend came over and we made a chocolate strawberry cake, and yes...some of the best chocolate buttercream I have ever made. It was beautiful. Really.

Saturday we woke up, got ready, I fed the baby, and then we all got into the car. I had to make sure everyone looked cute, everyone had a coat, Juliet was full, her diaper bag was packed, Dave had his homework, his lap top, and I had my make-up so I could actually not look like an exhausted mother of a newborn. And the cake. Let's not forget the cake.

But I did! I left it all gorgeous on my counter. I did not realize this until I was sitting on the side of the road waiting for a friend to come help us... What?! Yes, just past Saltair, our tire (a tire that had a slow leak and we had taken in to Les Schwaub not 4 days before to "fix") blew at 75 MPH. Dave safely pulled us onto the shoulder of I-80 to change it. Only our spare was pretty darn flat. Is that not just so typical??? So Dave asked me to call someone, "with a van "to get us all off of the freeway." I called my wonderful friend, and she came to the rescue, and drove us to West Valley to get a new tire. (Oh, and yes... I remembered the cake when she was almost to us... not when she was still in Tooele!"

So new tire in tow, we went back to our van, and wanna hear something else? The battery died from leaving on the hazard lights! Ha ha ha! Our luck! After a jump- we were ready to go! Only, all the kids were stressed out and hungry! Juliet had not eaten for 2 hours...and we were going to be 2 hours late for the party! We were all pretty crabby...but I was determined to still have a good day! We even had to remind the kids that we were all GOING TO HAVE FUN! (dangit!)

Well, we did. Fat Cat's was fun. All the arcade games, glow in the dark Mini golf, bowling, and bumper cars was fun! We had a delicious Costa Vida lunch (Thanks Jessica!) and a waffle cone! (Thanks Mom!) Juliet snuggled with Poppy the whole time, and I watched my kids have a great time! Dave, Timm, and Alex bowled a head to head- each with their own lanes, with victory going to Alex and Dave! It was so fun!

We were able to chill at Chellee's after with my Dad for a bit, and the night ended eating the AWESOME cake- back at home...and yah...not with the birthday boy and girl. But- what do you do? At least the day ended well.

I hope Juliet's next adventure goes a little more smoothly...

2 comments:

Timm said...

"MY EYELIDS ARE COLD!"

Lorelei said...

TAKE THAT PICTURE OFFFFF!!!