03 December, 2010

My favorite things

I have favorite things. Lists and lists. Sometimes I think I should consider shaving the list down, but then again? why? My heart is large enough to LOVE many many things! But since this week has been filled with many of the things I love, I am going with the ones on my mind, and the moment.

A favorite thing: Putting out my Nativity. The first year that Dave made actual money he was excited to buy me a gift for Christmas that was not some hokey pair of slippers or a sweater off of the clearance rack. He even went as far as asking Annette (A sweet lady he used to work with, who, from what I understand, had very nice taste) for advise. He bought the gift, and then teased me relentlessly about having a really fun surprise for me Christmas morning. When we all woke up, Dave and I were so excited! the first time we were actually able to spoil our 3 children with anything their hearts desired, and I for one...could barely breathe with excitement! But Dave would not let the kids open a thing...until I had a chance to open mine! He insisted I was first! When I realized what he had bought me, I can't remember saying a word. I just cried...because it was the single most beautiful thing I had ever owned. He gave me the Willow Tree "Nativity"- just Mary, Joseph, a donkey, a Shepard, a lamb, and baby Jesus came with this set. But again- it wasn't the set that made me cry, it was the way Mary held her baby and tilted her head towards him, how Joseph's hand held his heart, and how I related to a mother looking into her little one's eyes saying Hello baby, I have waited a long time to hold you! I could hardly wait until the kids had opened their gifts to set it out. I think I left it up until after Easter that year.

The following 4 years Dave bought the additional pieces. Each year I would wait with such anticipation for my new set. I looked at each one, and could feel the joy the wise men must have felt when finally finding the Christ, and how the animals felt the comforting spirit of the son of God. In fact, I was a little sad once he had bought the whole set... no more new people to remind me of a sacred day, when the Savior of the world was born.

Every year I put it out...kind of ceremoniously. I hold each one, putting myself in each person's shoes, grateful for Jesus Christ. I arrange them so that all the people are looking at the baby, because...that is why they were there. It is one of my favorite things. Thank you Dave, My favorite Christmas gifts ever.

A favorite thing: Christmas Trees! How I love them! I love the smells, the lights, and the shiny things about. I wish this year we could afford a real tree. But ya know... a month without any income will do that to you. I am grateful that we have an artificial tree this year. So our house can be shiny and pretty too! Monday I did something I have NEVER done before. I sat on the sofa...and watched! (I know my sister Michelle is about to pass out...) I let the kids arrange the smashed branches, PUT ON THE LIGHTS! (I know...Chellee you are wiggin') and put on the decorations. The kids even put the ribbons on TOTALLY different than I ever ever would, but you know, it is the most beautiful tree we have had since my gorgeous purple tree of 1996! I was SO proud that Jordan gets my light pickiness...each branch is covered perfectly, and the ornaments are arranged so beautifully! My children are terribly talents, and I could not love them any more! I cried tears of thanks that night when I said my prayers. They are the best children a mother could ask for. Be jealous.

A favorite thing: Poinsettia! My mom brought me a GORGEOUS one for hosting Thanksgiving! she knows how I LOVE them. she knows how I will NEVER buy myself one, because I would rather spend money one someone other than myself. She also knew that Dave could not get me one this ear, and so she bought me one...probably the most beautiful one I have ever seen, with a plant on the outside so that when my flower decides to die, I will still have something to set on the table. I LOVE it. I cried when I saw it. I cry alot over very thoughtful things. Thanks Mom!

A favorite thing: Not worrying that for the first time in probably 14 years, I can not buy ONE THING for my children for Christmas. Dave's parents have busily been buying the kids little things, and my mom assuring me that she has taken good care of them. In fact...I have it on good authority that our new baby girl will be getting her first clothes at Christmas too! Will will have something to wear! Ok...that made me cry a little too.

3 comments:

Mary Ann said...

I love your Christmas decorations! I miss your tree- it is so beautiful! I want to see the baby girl clothes under the tree!!!!!

Jenn said...

I agree with Mary Ann, love your tree and so nice to know that your family is gathering around you and taking care during what I'm sure is a stressful time. Baby girl clothes are my favorite. :)

My name is Michelle. said...

YOU LET THEM DO THE LIGHTS!?!?!?!?!?!?!