10 March, 2009

Mexico and Midnight Madness

Kira, Jordan, and Nicole on a banana in Mexico! I realize he is holding a root beer!
We reached Ensenada Mexico bright and early on March 4th. Since we were going to be docked until 10 pm, we did not rush right off of the ship. I wandered around the ship taking more pictures. (We took 812 pictures on this vacation!) Grandma took the kids miniature golfing. The course was on the 13th deck of the ship. It was so beautiful up there. The kids loved it! Golfing on the ship was pretty normal but when we're at sea? Ha! It was an entirely different game all together!
I did snap a few photos of Nicole during breakfast too- that is where she was most happy.Our Mexican adventure actually started before we left the ship. We did not book any excursions because we thought we could do the same things for a better price on our own. Which was totally true. We saved over half by finding our own bus. The country side was breathtaking! I loved the land. We were able to see the "aw we will finish tomorrow" life that the tour guide talked about. Most of the homes were half finished. The yards were kept beautifully- but then a total construction sight on the back end of the house. We even drove past fields and fields of flowers. Oh how I wish I could see those lovely flowers outside instead of this rotten snow! We went to La Bufadora. This is one of three known blowholes in the world. It was beautiful, but I was expecting more. Why I expected more- I am not sure, since I have never seen a blowhole before. Meh. On the way back form the blowhole we walk up this alley way. It is FILLED with vendors. Each one is calling- "Lady! Lady! My shop is better!" I was seriously NOT prepared for they mayhem that commenced on the way back from the blowhole. wow! I made each kids hold on to us tight while we walked back. Dave in his wisdom made us all "declare" what we wanted to buy in Mexico on the bus ride over so that a game plan was in place. Dave and Jordan wanted ponchos. Jordan wanted a cheapie sombrero. Kira wanted a dress. I wanted a leather bag. Nicole wanted a silver necklace. We all did well- except the purse guy was trying to rip me off and would not go low enough for me- so I walked away. He sure didn't like that! LOL. Well- sorry! So I bought everyone a hot fresh Churro with my money, and a taco. For anyone who is wondering- the Tacos on 25th Street in Ogden taste the same! Thankfully, because we went on the this self found tour, he had time to see the blowhole, buy a few things, and board the bus in just 2 hours. Not bad! One funny thing I need to remember is after Jordan bought his poncho and sombrero, all the Mexican vendors got a big kick out of him! They kept calling out- "Looking good Mexican!" "Hey Mexican!" "Mexican boy! over here!" When he tried it on the shop keeper said- "Now you look like a Mexican!" Jordan with all his 11 year old wit said- "Yah all I need is a mustache and a tan!" The shop keeper doubled over in a belly laugh! It was pretty funny!
We were all kind of pooped on the way back. What a beautiful contryside. From what little experience I had with the people, I liked them too. I would go back there in a heart beat!

We had ANOTHER wonderful dinner (I think it was lobster tails!) Our kids went back and zonked right out- AGAIN! Honestly I think we all did! Around 2:30 am I woke to the sound of someone tapping on our door. I rolled over and tried to ignore it. The night before there were girls our giggling and talking so I figured one of them had the wrong room. the knocking persisted- even louder. I woke Dave up and told him someone was out there. He tried to ignore it too- until the knocking became pounding! Dave opened the door ready to let someone HAVE IT!
There was Jordan. Scared OUT OF HIS MIND! No shoes, in his PJ's, no keycard. After a intense few moments, we found that he had woke up and he was in the elevator! Our son sleep walks! I was so freaked out! He walked out of our room, down a LONG corridor, around a corner, and into an elevator! Often I find him asleep on the couch in the morning, and he SWEARS he does not know how he arrived there- but I -being the Awesome Mother I am, KNOWS he really had been out of bed watching TV. Um yah. FAIL on my my part! Who knows where he could have gone! Drowned in a pool, off the back of the ship, into some Crazy's room! Then next night I put the suitcases, table, and chair all in from of the door so we would hear him trying to leave! I have already put calls into pediatric sleep specialists, so I hope we can get this problem solved. We are so grateful that he was protected!

2 comments:

Holmes said...

Wow, what a crazy experience for Jordan! Happy he is safe. Glad you were able to have a fun vacation.

Lorelei said...

It's funny now... but yeah super scary! That boy and his sleep problems!