15 September, 2008

Some of my weirdest recipies

I can not eat white flour, white sugar, or yellow cheese. So sometimes I have to be creative.

Quiche


1/2 cup pitted, sliced olives

3/4 cup crumbled feta or goat cheese

1 cup grated Parmesan or Provolone cheese
3 garlic cloves, finely minced
1 small Roma tomato, seeded, chopped and drained well
1 cup marinated artichoke hearts, finely chopped and well-drained
1 cup chopped cooked meat (optional but I like to use chicken breasts)
1-1/2 cups cream
4 eggs

Creamy Bacon Burger Soup

This filling, tasty recipe will fill a large crock pot and satisfy a hungry crowd. Just halve it for a smaller yield.

If you like some "kick" in your food, you should add some fresh or canned peppers or chilies, hot sauce, etc. to the base recipe.

· 1.5 pounds lean burger, browned and well-drained
· 2 cups Hormel real bacon bits (these have less fat than regular bacon bits, Whatever you do, don’t use those fake bacon bits, they would make your soup too salty /smoky.and fake food for the lose!)
· 1 small onion, diced and browned until deep golden brown
· 12 cups water
· 3 tablespoons onion powder
· 3 tablespoons minced dried onion flakes
· 2 tablespoons garlic powder (NOT garlic salt!)
· 1 tablespoon instant beef bullion
· 8 ounces diced cream cheese


Simply combine ingredients in a crock pot (or a large stockpot on top of a slow stove) and cook for several hours. *If/when grease appears on the surface, just skim it off and discard.



I have to avoid white flour- and wheat pasta is yucky and there fore pointless- so I have found a fun variation for a recipe I call:

Pasghetti

  • 1 cup crumbled feta
  • 1 cup grated Romano cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 SMALL bunch Italian parsley
  • 1T Italian seasoning
  • 3 cups no sugar added spaghetti sauce
  • 2 lbs LEAN burger/ or Italian sausage- but I won't
  • 16 oz Broccoli slaw
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
Layer the slaw on the bottom of crockpot, mix feta, Romano cheese, eggs, parsley, Italian seasoning then spread over slaw. Cook meat, and mix with sauce and Parmesan, and layer it.
Cook on low for 6-10 hours, serve with Mozzarella sprinkled on top.

They will never miss the pasta.

I also stuff chicken with broccoli all the time. Lots of fake taco salads with no chips and white cheese, and I eat lots of that YUMMY Oikos yogurt. ( Its an organic Greek yogurt...the plain one and I stir in a few crushed raspberries. It has 15 grams of protein in ONE cup- regular yogurt might have 5!! Its the BEST yogurt...not terribly cheap tho. HEY! I have to have something yummy!) I eat natural almonds when I can, and I eat an Orange every day. Everyday!

I miss my regular cooking repertoire - enchiladas and lasagna and potatoy cheesy heaven type things- but-

No headaches. Probably because I have no MSG, fake sugar, or other artificial stuff to eat.



4 comments:

stephschmidt said...

YUMMMM!!!! Your post is making me hungry...

Mary Ann said...

Ok, I am so glad that you love Greek Yogurt. It is seriously my favorite thing. I use it in everything as a sub for plain yogurt or sour cream and with granola, it is my fave. I am just bummed that they aren't selling the little pack with blueberries anymore. That was yummy too!

Tooele Brezoff said...

your making all that for me when?

Ruth Swaner said...

Hey, Thanks for the receipes. I'm totally going to try these. Love MOM S.