03 August, 2008

Going too Far?

Congats to Zachary and Tannon who were baptized this weekend! We love you and are proud of you!

We went to Tannon's baptism yesterday. It was also his birthday. We all had fun- and had a fantastic dinner- you can never go wrong with burgers on a grill. Kira played with a kitchen set with Myah and Myah's other cousins (we had a kitchen long ago...I wonder if that was Kira's first time doing so?) and Jordan played rockband with Skyler, Zac, Tannon, and their other cousins. Both children report good times. We are very glad we went.
The question came up- " You came all the way from Tooele?" A perfectly acceptable question, and not rude or offensive at all- but it gave me pause to think. So let me ask you- How far is too far ?

To go grocery shopping- 2.5 hours is certainly to far! But this was the baptism of a nephew- if we had had to work that day- it may have been too far. If our car was only capable of going 45 miles per hour- I am thinking that would be TOO far. If it was a major snowstorm- with 17% visibility- I am thinking Idaho is too far. Sick? Probably too far? Gas at 4.09 a gallon? yep maybe. Can't stand to listen to the kids argue in the car? Totally! No cruise control- man that car is uncomfortable. Oh yes! House could sure use some attention! Stay home! OooH I could finish painting the living room! YEP! that settles it! .... I started to think- wow- we could have stayed home (!) and no one would have thought a thing- it was perfectly acceptable for us to have stayed home. No hurt feelings at all.

But we go. Why? You came all the way from Tooele? yes- and I love questions that give me a moment to think! (so thank you very much) This time- our nephew had made a important decision- and we wanted to show love and support. We had the time- tho we would not be able to do some things that we could have, we had a few extra dollars to spend on gas, and we wanted to go. We love our families and know we won't be taking our freshly painted house with us into the next life. Our house will get picked up today- (and will be dirty again tomorrow) and gas prices are not going down anytime soon.

So to you...How far is too far?

3 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

great perspective. You are very right. Sometimes I need to get refreshed on these things, since I let the day to day life take priority (the house, the gas prices, etc). Thanks again for making the effort. It was appreciated. kelli

sharpest family said...

Hi, it looks like you had fun up there. So as for your question...let's just say you're a good auntie. No way would I drive that far for a baptism. I know I get it from my mom but in my book it's a step that is expected to be taken just like high school graduation, that's why I never send money (yes I'm a pooper) but they SHOULD graduate and not think it's such a huge accomplishment. I'm cynical. If the baptism were in my same town or even county I'd go. You know how my family is though, we're all like this and so that way no one gets offended either.
I admire you and your willingness to go the extra mile. I'm sure Kelli was happy you were there. It's always fun to see family. I just hope that when my in-laws' kids are old enough for that they just don't invite me, but they will, and yes we'll probably go but poor Aaron will have to listen to me complain the whole way there. I'd be willing to bet that %70 of people feel the same way as me. You're one in a million Gabrielle and I'm glad you're my friend!! I wish I felt more like you but alas I am my mother. :)

stephschmidt said...

I'm with you; I go "far" all the time :) My mom lives in Eagle Mountain, about 50 min to an hr from here, but I'm going there all the time for one thing or another. I figure (just as you do), gas prices are what they are, they're not changing anytime soon. Oh well. Not gonna let that change my plans :)