24 November, 2009

A lesson I can appreciate this time of year.

I am the Chorister in the Primary. I LOVE doing this and feel bad for everyone else who does not. It is an amazing thing to get to sing, teach children beautiful songs, and teach the simple gospel principals while worshiping in this sweet and pure way. With small stints MAYBE, BARELY, being 5 months in the last 14 years I have NOT been in primary in whatever ward I have been in. So to attend adult classes has come few and far between. At times I wonder if I miss the adult classes. I wonder if the sweet controlled chaos would be missed. My answerin my heart is always- Yes yes YES YES YES!!!!

However, every so often when we visit a family member on a Sunday, I enjoy my adult classes and try to take advantage of it. I am sure I am not alone in this little savoring of being taught without have to teach.

Our Bishop must know that little feeling. He must know that we need the little dose of teaching, and has arranged for us in the Primary to attend the 5th Sunday lessons the few times a year they come- only we go on the fourth Sunday while our ward- mates take our classes so we can attend. It was truly inspired to do this for us. I appreciate it so.

This Sunday was one of those weeks. We had a wonderful message, and training. I sat there with such a sense of gratitude for the opportunity to serve the young children in my area. To share my love of the Savior with them, and to feel theirs. Knowing that I have some part in the Lord's plan to show children his love for them, and in helping them find a way to put all of their faith in Him fills me deeply with humility for His grand design. How He must know that the faith of a child can move mountains and change the lives of the adults around them. It was really a beautiful lesson and I was happy to be a part of it.

We spoke of the way Christ taught. He always taught with love, by example, to the level of the people he served, and with sincerity. If I could only emulate Him in all that I do. We spoke of the His sheep. How its easy to help the ninety and nine. They are safe- with the Shepard. While the one who wanders is the one in trouble, the one we must help, must serve,

It made me think of my Sunday school teacher when I was Nicole's age. On our first Sunday in his class he told us that if we ALL came to church every single week from January to August, he would take us all to Lagoon. I remember how excited we all were. We thought it would be a piece of cake. Little did we know that we would have to leave church OFTEN to drag people out of bed so that we would ALL be there. How it made us work together to get everyone there. The day came when he had to take us all to Lagoon. How annoyed his wife must have been when he took 10 teenagers to Lagoon on their dime! It must have cost a fortune. But as we lived up to our part of the deal, he did also. We had a fabulous time. (well... Most of it was wonderful-) I never understood at the time what he gave us that day. But I do now. He gave us co-stewardship over his Sunday School Class flock, and we owned it. Inspired.

How can I be so inspiring to those whom I teach? How can I live up to what my Father in Heaven expects out of me? How can I serve with the light and love of Christ? these are questions that I must keep in my prayers so that I too can be inspired to teach the lessons the Lord wants me to teach. I have much to aspire to, and I am willing to take the challenge.

2 comments:

Missy said...

I totally wish I could've loved being a primary choirster. You're awesome at it, but it's so nice you get a break and get to go to the adult class.

Holmes said...

I am a primary worker. I guess I am the music sub, either for piano or chorister. The chorister wants me to do I am a Child of God in Japanese. Any ideas to help the little ones with the language?