Monday was a relief! 3 weeks ago the baby was in this breech position that made seeing most of its little body hard to see, and the tech was well, pretty worthless...after seconds she decided that we were not going to see anything and go home, come again...after printing up a picture of the baby's right arm. While I was REALLY glad the baby had a right arm- I couldn't help but think what a stupid worthless picture it was. Who wants to see a picture of our baby's right arm??? I am sure you are all lining up outside my house this very instant.
So Monday instantly I could see much much more! The tech ( a different one thankfully) was skilled at locating all sorts of things! Little feet, LEFT arms, kidneys, a bladder and so on, she was even suspecting of the correct gender, but was not quite sure. When she left to get the doctor, I thought he would be right in, but it took forever...much longer than it had ever taken before...and with the 8 ultrasounds I have had in the last 18 month ordeal, it was a bit worrisome. When he finally arrives, he says he is the HEAD of Maternal Fetal Medicine and he wants to take a look at our baby. Instead of the quick 5 minute glance that most doctors take, he proceeded to do another 25 minute ultrasound. I was starting to become really nervous! When I asked him if everything was alright, he said he was not seeing what he wanted to from our baby's heart. I tried to remain calm while he searched more, and I heard a sigh of relief- LITERALLY from the doctor when he says- "Oh there we go...there are the 2 ventricles, and I THOUGHT I saw 2 atriums...but I can only get one now...so I bet we are ok there..." I start to breathe again, and he says- just need two more things. After a moment of two he pointed out the baby's lip, "Which shows us that there is no cleft pallet," and I am feeling warm and fuzzy better. He looks at the notes and said the tech did not see a little diaphragm, but he said its quite clear for him and "If I do not stop this, your belly is going to be pretty sore, and so is my hand!"
He was all smiles at this point, and my terror subsided! What a scare! He ALMOST turned off the machine when my wits came back to me to remember to double check the gender of the baby, and again...this skilled guy could see everything the tech was not able to see- (its a teaching hospital...she will be great one day!) and he pulls up t he leg shot clear as day and pronounces our baby's gender. He was VERY sure- as are we. A great smile, and tears of joy, knowing that our little one is actually ok, after all that I have been through in the last 2 years settled upon me, and I have been unable to kick it yet!
Baby has been wild and crazy- and the kicks are almost painful since this morning. I can't believe we are actually here. that this little one is growing, and that I can actually buy it things. (And if you have not yet received your little scratch off card, you don't know what color I looking at!) But I can picture it now! I am so very excited!
I know some of you think I have been silly with my cards, but if you knew how hard it was for me to accept the promptings to even have this baby, and then the heartache the losses I had were, and the terror I felt for this little one for 20 weeks, you would know that doing something like this has helped me grow closer to this little baby, to help excite our family for its little arrival, and come to terms with the fact that this time, its actually going to happen. No more scary visits from Heads of Departments for me! too scary! We are keeping this baby!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I'm so happy for you! I didn't know you were pregnant (I'm a little out-of-it). I can't wait to hear what you're having!
I love the card, and I'm so so happy for you!! It was fun to actually talk to you for just a minute today, even if it was for just a minute... Maybe next week it will be two :)
I got your card and I wanted to say 1. how cute it was and 2. Congratulations! I would have emailed you but I realized that I don't have your email address, I think I used to mostly message you on facebook. Anyway, just wanted to say I'm excited for you guys!
Post a Comment