25 August, 2009

Brand New School, Brand New Year


Yesterday was the first day of school for us. I personally was LOTS more excited than the kids were. One reason I put off moving so long was that our children went to a really great school. the first charter school in Ogden, and we were the 3rd family to sign up! I really wanted a better choice for my kids, and they were very poor in Ogden before OPA opened up. We signed up and there was an old tire store that they claimed our children would be going to in 6 weeks. It was in the middle of a parking lot behind the Ogden Temple- which you may know was (its being re-vamped and looking nicer all the time!) a HORRID part of town. But we did it, I had faith in what the parents and principla believed in- and that first year I spent over 500 hours volunteering at that school. The next 4 years- I ended up teaching there. Our children grew so much there- and it really made a HUGE difference in their academic careers. When we moved here and I saw how far ahead the kids were, I asked the administration if there were any programs to challenge my kids and she said "In a couple of years your kids will be right with the other kids." YES- you heard me right. That is EXACTLY what she said to me. Let's just hold your kids back so the other kids can catch up. Oh a novel plan. (IDIOT) Within 6 months I had taken Nicole out of school completely! She was beyond struggling!

When this new choice opened up, I prayed daily that if it was the right choice, to get my children in. I have so much faith in that prayer. When they were accepted, I knew that my Father in Heaven would help us, and them, do what we needed to help this school succeed. It will!
Oh how the kids have complained. Especially Nicole! They know the work will be more, and the uniforms. Yah- it was a trial. Yesterday I did not have any fights as I took them to school. they Really really stepped up to the plate! Pick up was a bear- it took me 45 minutes to get them- but I am SURE it will work itself out. Sure of it! I will be patient, and willing to serve, and gleefully watch my children grow.

5 comments:

My name is Michelle. said...

Jordan's face in the second picture.... How YOU doin?

~Jordyn said...

Yay for school! I can't even imagine Tanner in school but I guess it will happen one day. :)

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Uniforms would have saved me a lot of stress and a lot of shopping this year.

Just Us said...

Sounds like a happy ending with the school and I love happy endings!

stephschmidt said...

Oh, how I remember loving the first day of school. New clothes, new school supplies, new friends, new teachers, etc. I hope they all have a great year!