08 July, 2008

Yellow Skirt

With all the birthday talk around here- I was thinking about my very favorite birthday. I am not sure why it was my favorite birthday. It was my 19th birthday and I was going to get married in 11 more days. Dave bought me flowers and a carrot cake- and we spent the whole day being excited about the MANY other birthdays we would spend together. I remember the cake. He had my name on it- and for some reason I loved it! It might be crazy why that is my favorite birthday- but I guess it was because of what we could see for the rest of our birthdays for the rest of our lives. Dave continues to make each birthday fun for me. Makes getting older and older fun.

Then I tried to decide my favorite birthday gift. There is no doubt in my mind. When I turned 9 we lived on 5th street in Ogden. My mom had been pregnant for almost 8 months with my brother Alex- and was SO ill. She had been on bed rest for the last 7 months and I did all the cleaning, laundry, and most of the cooking. My dad was still recovering from a knee surgery- so really it was me. My younger sisters came to me with boo boos to clean, sandwiches to make, and clothes to pick out. Mom did hair and gave hugs from bed. When my birthday came- I knew we would not be going anywhere- would make my own cake, and dinner- and how would my mom have gone out and pick a gift for me? So the morning of my birthday- my dad woke me up and took me to the front room- he told me Aunt Kathy would be making us dinner and a cake after he came home! Mom was on the couch with a gift! It was an outfit that she had handmade while laying in bed. It was a yellow- sleeveless whole piece shorts. it had a band of white lace- about mid chest. Then a matching skirt to pull over the top so it could be a dress or shorts. I LOVED that outfit! I was so happy to have a new outfit during that hard time- when I did not get to play at all. I wore it until it was so small it hurt my shoulders!

7 comments:

FAMILY FAMILY FAMILY said...

Where's the picture to go with this post? It sounds totally cute and I'd love to see it. kelli

Lisa said...

Gifts like that are always the best. I bet that means so much to your cute Mom that you remember that! I can't believe you were in Logan and I didn't even get to see you!!!!!!!!!!

Unknown said...

Kelli- I have looked for a picture of that outfit. :( It only lives in my memory now. Lisa- the funny thing about the outfit - my mom thought it was ugly because she made it out of the only material she had in the house. lol.

sharpest family said...

I swear I remember that outfit. Maybe I did actually see it and maybe it was just you talking about it all the time but I totally remember it. What a great mom. And what a great little mommy you were while your mom had to be in bed (poor thing). Prepared you for today didn't it?

Just Us said...

It's funny how when you're young the the smallest things sometimes mean the most. I know (kind of at least) how you must have felt doing all of the housework etc. when you were young. When my parents got divorced and my Mom went back to work, I pretty much took over the household stuff too since she worked an hour away. It can be rough, but I was older than you were when that happened, so I can only imagine how difficult that must have been.

Tooele Brezoff said...

I had a dress my Uncle bought me, I loved it and wore it until it was trashed and my mom tossed it, still a little bitter about that!
I really wish you had a photo of your yellow outfit!

Just Us said...

Hey, I just had to tell you what an AWESOME job you did in the Primary today! It probably seemed pretty crazy and loud in there, but it's often like that. Even so, I could tell that they kids really loved you and your movements to the song! I just had to tell you that I thought you did great!